Jun 7, 2011

Lamentations: Chapter 3


When I was reading my Bible today, I was in the book of Lamentations. I thought, "Great, I'm already trying my hardest not to get down in the dumps after some bad news today, and now I am going to read one of the most depressing books in the Bible."

But my goodness, there's actually HOPE in Lamentations! The author, Jeremiah, begins chapter 3 by sharing all the horrible things he is going through. (I can relate to Jeremiah's hardship, but it sure puts my problems into perspective). After all of the stuff going on in his life, he is starting to lose hope in his God.

BUT THEN, Jeremiah remembers that God has never stopped showing him love (verses 21 and 22). He remembers God's faithfulness in the past and is able to confidently say, "The Lord is my portion." His hope in God is renewed and he realizes that GOD IS ALL HE NEEDS!

I was really hit by the following verses:

"The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, to the person who seeks Him. It is good for a man that he should bear the yoke in his youth. Let him sit alone and be silent since He has laid it on him." ---Lamentations 3:25-28 (emphasis mine)

I am always trying to take control and make things happen that I want. But God wants me to seek Him and to wait for Him. I'm not sure when I became such an impatient person, but I have a feeling it was right around the same time I stopped seeking what God wants for my life.

So why do we need to sit alone, be silent, and seek God? The answer is in the following verses:

"Why should any living mortal, or any man, offer complaint in view of his sins? Let us examine and probe our ways, and let us return to the Lord." ---Lamentations 3:39-40

We need to examine ourselves. We need to let ourselves see the ways we are not trusting God. And then when we repent of all of the ways we have hurt God, we need to return to Him. This is what Jeremiah did. He called out to God, and in turn, God drew near to Jeremiah and said, "Do not fear!" (Lamentations 3:57)

I challenge all of you to be silent before God and examine your heart. It can be scary. No one wants to see how much we have hurt our heavenly Father. But this is the first step to repentance, to changing your life, and to being the person God created you to be. A person who loves God with all that you are. A person with no bondage or fear.




No comments:

Post a Comment