"For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him with whom we have to do. Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin. Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need."---Hebrews 4:12-16 (emphasis mine)
Here are some thoughts I drew out of this passage:
- The Bible is life-changing (verse 12)!
- All of us are seen by God, even our actions, thoughts, and intentions (verses 12 & 13).
- Jesus is better than a priest, because He is God and can intercede for us at all times (verse 15).
- Even though Jesus is God, He is also a man who can sympathize with us when we make a mistake (verse15).
- Jesus overcame all the temptations He experienced and we can too through His power (verse 15).
- When we do make a mistake, He is still gracious with us when we draw near to Him (verse 16).